I recently read The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz, a simple, profound and easy-to-read book. It’s based on the Toltec nation/race/society throughout southern Mexico. That part might turn many people off the book and if you discount that spirituality the information is still so relevant. It’s based on the understanding that many of us live with ingrained beliefs that don’t serve us, can hurt us and others, causing us to live in fear.
As such he proposes consciously adopting 4 agreements of how to live your life:
1st Be Impeccable with Your Word – out of your mouth and in your head.
2nd Don’t Take Anything Personally – the negative and even the positive.
3rd Don’t Make Assumptions – ask questions to understand.
4th Always Do Your Best – not perfectionism, your best varies moment by moment.
His book explains these so well, so easily, living them is so much harder.
He says the DREAM is to have Heaven on Earth which is:
- The dream you are living is your creation
- It is your perception of reality that you can change at anytime
- Imagine that you have permission to be happy and to really enjoy your life
- Imagine you don’t have the need to be right and you don’t need to make anyone else wrong
- Only love has the ability to put you in the state of bliss
- Life can be very easy when love is our way of life
- You can be loving all the time. You may not have a reason to love, but you can love because to love makes you so happy
What agreement would make you happier?