A few quick tips to improve your listening skills. Most people like it when someone listens to them. Most people crave to be heard, maybe you can fulfil their need.
- Clear your own mind and heart – so you can turn them towards the other person.
- Eliminate or reduce outside distractions – put your phone away, turn the computer off.
- Look at the other person if you’re face to face.
- Hear the words, from their perspective, to understand them (Stephen Covey: seek first to understand and then to be understood).
- Focus on what they are saying and trying to convey, rather than thinking of your reply.